June 10, 2012

The Miracle of Movement

It clears the mind, centers the body and keeps us strong.  Yesterday, I completed my first cycling event. It felt sooo good to see what my body could do when I worked WITH it.  I've, known, all to well, the downfalls of choices that left me feeling ill, weak, in pain & confused.  Yesterday, however, I felt unstoppable. Biking is new to me (other than attempting to "pop wheelies" as a kid riding around my neighborhood). LoL! As I rode I felt as though I was in the middle of an ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE experience.  Along the way horses watched me glide across the road.  Trickling streams provided just enough peaceable sound and breeze to move my soul to continue on. When I was weary I'd
find something to inspire me to keep moving forward.  I counted pedal rotations, sang lyrics to my favorite Unstoppable Songs, prayed, laughed at my circus-show of an imagination.

At one point I thought I was the last person on the rode.  For about 5 or 6 miles I rode alone (save the occasional ride marshal or other volunteer patrolling the course to ensure safety).  I was surprised at how heavy the loneliness felt.  Then came the wind.  Plus an uphill climb....this was the moment on the ride that my confidence faltered.  I slowed down. I sped up to push through.  I worried.  Then I realized there was a woman behind me.  And a grandfather & his granddaughter.  I listened to the words of encouragement the grandfather spoke to his granddaughter, as if he were speaking to me.  Ultimately I made it through. As did the other woman.  It was awesome! Shortly after that climb, the halfway point in sight and my heart leaped with joy!

After refueling my body & putting the right amount of air in my tires I whizzed my way to the finish line (shaving about 30 minutes off my time). Even with a sore left hamstring I knew I'd make it.....I was not alone.  I never was.  This ride felt like life! What a journey....what amazing lessons to learn about perseverance, desire, appreciation, ego, camaraderie, pain, support, inspiration, joy, confidence, shame, education, self awareness....all from riding a bicycle.  There's a lifetime of miracles in movement waiting for all to discover. 

No comments: